In the United States, 40 to 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. That number is even higher for second and third marriages. The divorce process is often incredibly challenging, especially when children are involved. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The end of an unhappy or unhealthy marriage can be a time of transformation. Consider the following tips to thrive after divorce:
- Decide to thrive: The mindset you adopt post-divorce plays a big part in your emotional and physical well-being. By making a conscious decision to approach life after divorce as a positive and exciting new adventure, you are more likely to see the beauty in how far you have come and open yourself up to bigger and better things.
- Forgive even if you do not forget: Your divorce is full of lessons. You have surely learned so much about yourself and what you want from love. While you should not forget these important lessons, consider forgiving your ex-spouse and yourself for the part you played in your divorce. It is liberating to let go of anger and bitterness. Releasing these toxic feelings enables you to move on from your past.
- Make new friends: Divorce is the perfect time to grow your circle. Try new activities that expose you to new people who are not connected to your past with your ex-spouse. The friends you had when you were a couple may no longer meet your needs. New friends offer a fresh perspective and expand your horizons.
- Refuse to compete: It can be tempting to keep tabs on your ex-spouse after you parted ways. Where are they living? Are they dating? Competing with your ex-spouse will bring nothing but misery. It holds you back from moving on and keeps you from severing the ties that bind you to your past. Wish your ex-spouse well and focus on a bright future ahead.
- Make time for you: Self care is a necessity during divorce. Take time to do something just for you now and then. It can be as simple as going for a run, getting a massage, or curling up with a good book. Even the most amicable divorce can be taxing emotionally, physically, and financially. Taking care of yourself leaves you better equipped to take on life’s challenges.
If you are in the thick of a divorce, it may be hard to believe you can ever be happy again, let along thrive, but you can. In addition to self-care, new connections, and the right outlook, good legal cousel is another important piece of the puzzle. There is peace of mind in knowing your attorney is guiding you toward making the best choices for your family’s future.
Bucks County Divorce Lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Help Clients Thrive After Divorce
If you are contemplating divorce, the Bucks County divorce lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. can help. We will provide skilled legal counsel for a peaceful resolution. To learn more about how we can help you, call us at 888-999-1962 or contact us online for a free consultation. With offices in Philadelphia, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Pinehurst, North Carolina, we represent clients throughout Pennsylvania.